St. Teresa's Academy is the oldest school, women's organization, and Catholic institution in Kansas City. The school was founded and is sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet who, since their founding in 17th century France, have been at the forefront of education and preparing young women for the future. quality hill 1866.
In 1866 at 12th and Washington Streets in Kansas City's Quality Hill district, the Academy rapidly grew in enrollment and prestige. By 1909, the Sisters relocated the school to a twenty-acre site at 5600 Main--our current location. They dubbed the campus "Windmoor" due to the constant wind blowing across the open prairie. On the cornerstone of the first of what would become four elegant campus buildings, the Sisters inscribed the words of St. Teresa of Avila and the motto of the Academy, "Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum" which means "With the help of God, we need not fear."
In 1941, the Sisters added a second building, Donnelly Hall, which housed the city's first and only college for women. The college moved to the south part of Kansas City in 1963 and became Avila University. A state-of-the-art gymnasium, the Goppert Center, was completed for the school's competitive women's athletic program in 1982. In addition, a new eight-lane track and synthetic turf field were added on the north end of campus. Construction began again in 2011 as the school added the Windmoor Center to central campus, housing the beautiful Chapel of St. Joseph and four, state-of-the-art high-tech classrooms.
During the 2018-2019 school year, an $11 million investment in the expansion of the Goppert Center was introduced. This expansion includes state-of-the-art educational spaces and tools, demonstrating the long-standing commitment at St. Teresa's to remain a prominent leader in high school education. Over 25,000 square feet were added to the Windmoor campus, which include the Fahey Learning Center, a state-of-the-art Makerspace/Engineering Lab, prominent Campus Ministry Department, and workout facilities.
For over 150 years, St. Teresa's Academy has been faithful to the overriding vision and values of the Sisters of St. Joseph, making it unique among local, private educational institutions.